The Sandoway House was constructed in 1936.
And is credited to local architect, Samuel Ogren.
Ogren’s prolific works shaped both the public and private character of the City of Delray Beach,
including the National Register listed High School and Gymnasium (now known as Old School Square).
The Sandoway House was constructed in the then-emerging Colonial Revival Resort (or Resort Colonial) style, which was popular in Delray Beach during the years of the Great Depression. It is one of only a handful of houses in this style of architecture remaining on the City’s beachfront.
The Sandoway House is typical of the Resort Colonial revival in its use of New England clapboard construction combined with an airy porch to capitalize on the sea breezes.
The two-story wood-framed house is rectangular in form with the open porch on the second floor looking over the ocean.
Originally the house featured a corresponding porch directly below on the first floor which has been replaced by a wrap-around screened porch, added in 1980. The hipped roof is covered with asphalt shingles and features a central chimney. The second story is framed in vertical batten and boards and the first floor is sheathed in horizontal clapboard. Most of the 8/8 pane wood double hung windows are original as are the operable shutters. An example of the deliberate lack of outward ostentation can be seen in the elegant arched window which is located on the south façade of the Sandoway house and is not visible to passersby on the street.